What is the integration agreement?
The integration agreement is a tool aimed at facilitating the integration of foreign nationals.
Through the signing of the agreement, foreign nationals commit themselves to achieve the following integration objectives that shall be fulfilled during the period of validity of their residence permit:
- acquire sufficient knowledge of the Italian language;
- guarantee the fulfillment of compulsory education to minors.
Who shall sign the agreement?
Foreign nationals who:
- enter Italy for the first time;
- file an application to obtain residence permits for a duration of at least 1 year;
- are aged 16 or older. In case of minors aged between 16 and 18, the agreement is signed by their parents or by those who exercise parental authority.
Where to sign the agreement?
The agreement is signed at the Prefecture – the one-stop shop for immigration – by foreign nationals who enter Italy for work or family reunification, or at the Police Headquarters in case of entry for other reasons.
What happens after signing the agreement?
Sixteen (16) credits are assigned at the moment of signing the agreement. Within three months, foreign nationals are invited to participate in a civic training session of maximum 10 hours about life in Italy.
The non-attendance of this training session leads to the loss of 15 credits.
Suspension or extension of the agreement upon request
The agreement may be suspended or extended at the request of foreign nationals, through the filing of suitable documents attesting:
- severe health or family problems;
- work reasons;
- attendance of training, lifelong and orientation courses;
- attendance of apprenticeship;
- attendance of vocational training and orientation ;
- study abroad.
Assessment of the agreement
One month before the expiry of the agreement, the One-Stop shop assesses the level of integration achieved by the foreign nationals to submit the documents needed to receive additional credits. Foreign nationals living in the province of Bolzano will also receive credits for tests made in German. Should the foreign nationals lack the necessary documents, they may ask to be tested to prove the degree of knowledge of the Italian language, culture and civics needed to comply with the agreement.
The assessment may lead to three different outcomes:
- SETTLEMENT OF THE agreement: the foreigner has reached an appropriate level of integration (30 credits or more);
- EXTENSION OF THE agreement FOR ONE YEAR: the foreign national has not reached a sufficient number of credits to allow the settlement of the agreement (1 to 29 credits);
- TERMINATION OF THE agreement: the foreign nationals has not reached an appropriate level of integration; his/her residence permit is revoked and he/she is expelled from the national territory (0 credits or less).
This agreement was put in place to promote integration and ensure that every foreign national immigrating to Italy contributes to the country’s heritage and culture.
Online consultation of the status of the agreement
Source: Ministry of Interior – Department for Civil Liberties and Migration
NOS Relocation Team